Saturday, October 10, 2009

Emma

Title - Emma
Author - Jane Austen
Genre - Historical Romance; Fiction
Short Synopsis - Emma is a rich, spoiled, but good-natured girl in her 20s. She is a little snobby, but everyone seems to love her anyway. One of the ways that she chooses to entertain herself is by match-making all of the people around her. A very good friend of hers, who is also a good friend of the family, is Mr. Knightly, who has no problem telling Emma that she is spoiled and silly. This book focuses on the different match-making disasters that Emma faces and the problems that occur in her own love life.
Favorite Quotes -
"Mr. Knightly, in fact, was one of the few people who could see faults in Emma Woodhouse, and the only one who ever told her of them; and though this was not particularly agreeable to Emma herself, she knew it would be so much less so to her father, that she would have him really suspect such a circumstance as her not being thought perfect by everybody."

"'My being charming, Harriet, is not quite enough to induce me to marry; I must find other people charming - one other person at least.'"

"'I cannot make speeches, Emma,' he soon resumed, and in a tone of such sincere, decided, intelligible tenderness as was tolerably convincing. 'If I love you less, I might be able to talk about it more. But you know what I am. You heart nothing but truth from me. I have blamed you, and lectured you, and you have borne it was no other woman in England would have borne it. Bear with the truths I would tell you now, dearest Emma, as well as you have borne with them. The manner perhaps, may have as little to recommend them. God knows, I have been a very indifferent lover. But you understand me. Yes, you see, you understand my feelings - and will return them, if you can. At present, I ask only to heart - once to hear your voice.'"

Recommendation - This book is kind of a slow read, but it is worth it in the end. The different scenes in the book are most of the time quite hilarious. While I was reading, I wanted Emma to end up with her own happily ever after, even if she was a little snobby. The ending is just right. It's exactly how I pictured it to be. This is a great book.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    Cool blog! Feel free to check out mine and follow at girlsofhope.blogspot.com :)

    Libby x

    ReplyDelete